Monday, January 12, 2009

$78.36

I just read Jessie's blog and I could not agree with her more. I think January is a very hard time to blog. (Unless you are adopting a beautiful baby girl.) But one of my resolutions was to not spend so much money on groceries. I swear I would be a millionare if I didn't have to grocery shop. So while in the bath, (the only time I get to read my magazines). There was a article called The Week's Dinner. The article said that with properly planned out meals you can feed a family of 4 on $71.00 a week with snacks. So I thought why not? I thought it was total impossible. My Mom had Abbi so it was just Thomas and I in the store so I could concentrate a little more.


Here is the grocery list
1 pound fresh green beans
1 bunch of carrots
1 large bunch of broccoli
2 heads of lettuce
1 large bag of grapes
5 medium bananas
2 medium pears
1 box of shredded wheat cereal (I don't like shredded wheat so I go Cheerios)
1 Box instant oatmeal
2 large breaded tilapia (We don't like fish so, I bought steak)
2 packages of chicken breast
1 package ground beef (I bought ground turkey)
1/2 pound of ham and cheese
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
1 box of crackers
1 box whole wheat penne pasta
1 box brown rice
1 box of granola bars
2 large yogurt containers
1 container of parmesan cheese
1 block of sharp cheese
1 bottle of light dressing
3 cans chicken broth
1 jar of peanut butter ( I didn't but this I already had some)
1 box of macaroni and cheese
1 can of black beans
2 jars of applesauce
1 jar salsa
1 single served tuna ( I don't like tuna so I bought chicken)
1 package of tortillas
1 package of bagels
1 loaf of whole wheat bread
3 half gallons of milk
1 half gallon of O.J.
1 dozen large eggs

So i bought everything for a total of 78.36. I was pretty proud of myself, and that included 2 rolls of paper towels. The aritcle mapped out the dinner and how to make them, but the breakfasts, lunches and snacks you were kinda on your own.

So I had all the food and I did it. I even had some left overs and my Sister made us dinner one night so we had a meal left to make. It was pretty cool. I didn't think it was possible to feed my family on that little of money. I guess I have been making some bad choices at the store.

The dinner where different then some of stuff I usually make

Day 1
Steak, broccoli and grean beans

Day 2
Breakfast, egg scramble with toast and orange juice

Day 3
Grilled chicken breast (my favorite), broccoli and pasta

Day 4
Take out pizza (I never did this, I made something from the freezer.)

Day 5
Shortcut chicken soup (YUM YUM YUM)

Day 6
Bean and beef burritos

Day 7
Whole wheat penne with meat sauce.

If you know me well enough I can't follow a recipes and I don't know how to measure. So my stuff turned out a little different. But I was proud of myself for doing it. Now I just need to keep making better choices at the Grocery store.

I know this was kinda a boring post, but I next one will be better when I upload picture of the coolest fort I have even seen, that My Dad and Bug built the kids. I'd do it now, but my camera is in the car and I have a hot bath waiting for me.

No comments: